Did you know that 80% of learning is visual and many eye problems don’t have obvious symptoms? Seeing 20/20 on the eye chart may not correlate with your child’s ability to read, write or play sports comfortably.
Our team is committed to providing children clear, comfortable vision that provides optimal vision for learning, sports and overall development.
The Canadian Association of Optometrists recommends that your child’s first eye examination be at 6 months of age, and we recommend annual eye exams after that.
Our children’s ocular wellness examinations are adapted to your child’s age and are made as fun as possible. Our examinations include all of the following:
- Case History: In this portion, one of our team members will be asking you multiple questions to assess if your child is at risk of any specific ocular conditions based on their medical history, birth history, family history and any medications they may be taking. We will also be asking questions specific to their school performance and their general development while addressing any concerns you, their teachers, or their paediatrician may have.
- Vision Assessment: Our doctors will assess your child’s level of vision and will provide a high-definition prescription assessment for both distance and, if needed, reading vision.
- Binocular Vision Assessment: Our doctors will use a multitude of fun games to assess if your child is able to use their eyes together effectively as a team, if they are able to focus properly and their level of depth perception. These are all related to school and sports performance.
- Colour Vision Assessment: Our doctors will assess if your child has any colour vision deficiencies.
- Ocular Health Assessment: Our doctors will be assessing the front and back surfaces of your children’s eyes taking a look specifically at the optic nerve, blood vessels and retinal integrity to make sure that your child’s eyes are properly developing. We will be discussing with you and your child how to keep their eyes healthy for the rest of time.
- Digital Imaging: Are you wondering what we are able to see in the back of your child’s eye? Our team will take photographs of your child’s retina to help document any changes in the nerve, the blood vessels and other important structures.
Did you know that our office participates in the Eye See Eye Learn program? As part of this program, all children currently enrolled in Junior Kindergarten will receive a full ocular examination and glasses if necessary at no cost. All children 19 and under receive full covered comprehensive ocular examinations under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan.
To book an appointment for your family today please call us at (416)237-0630 or please click below to book online: